Seraph's Top 100 Non-Arcade Games Discussion

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
Hierophant
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Favorite Game: Alien vs Predator

Re: Seraph's Top 100 Non-Arcade Games Discussion

Post by Hierophant » January 12th, 2017, 4:18 am

Yeah I dunno, Panther.... I've run into some pretty weird Japanese SNES games that in no way resembled an RPG, but were still essentially unplayable due to the amount of menus and options being presented. I'd just be going around in circles until I deemed it a lost cause. It's one factor which makes King of Demons such an amazing discovery, since this is exactly the sort of thing I'd be hoping to find by poking around in random Japanese games.

No worries, Max, it would seem that I already have the translation. About ten years ago when my brother gave me his SNES ROM collection, it was 20GB; basically every possible permutation of every game. That was well before I knew anything about good sets, but I managed to whittle it down to 8GB at the time by manually throwing out all the French, German, Spanish, etc. language versions and just keeping the US and Japan stuff.

I guess that's one of the funny things about emulation; deciding what to play while having more games than you could ever sensibly get through in one lifetime!

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » January 13th, 2017, 12:54 am

I'm glad you guys have the translated rom, or know where to get it. Speaking of which, I'm still waiting for a translation of Kamaitachi no Yoru for the SNES... That game is regarded one of the best visual novel games ever created, but that also means a lot of text to translate!! I know there's a version in english for IOS, but the game was "localized" and I hate localizations, besides I own android devices...

Lets go back to the list, I really liked your review of Shadow of The Ninja, Seraph, you can't be hyperbolic when talking about that game, is one of the best games I've ever played on the NES, period... And being able to coop... Priceless.
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: X-Men

Post by Seraph » January 15th, 2017, 12:43 pm

I will likely be a week or so from posting updates with some life changing stuff going on! However, I say Shadow of the Ninja does get more play time with people that already know some of the library due to top videos and someone told them what was best, but I always point to Kid Icarus for this example. Great title when looking at what was available for that year, but my list had to stand up to time as well. Most people throw that in there when they review on YouTube, but I'm not always convinced hey mean that. Guerilla War while better graphics on the Arcade had its best version on the NES, so for me I was compelled to insert it in my Top 25. Solar jetman and Xexyz were amazing but few I talk to have heard of it. You guys keep posting cause I enjoy reading your takes on NES and SNES. Oh and hey no one mentions Holy Diver!

Pocky and Rocky: This title always reminds me of the asian arcade games like Pang! That came out in the 8ps and early 90s. This game is a lot of fun and one of my favorite games to break out for those that like Arcade style gaming but want to experience some console gaming (this one is especially for you MAME Addicts)! Oh and did I mention that not only is the difficulty, color scheme/scenery, and fast shooting run and gunning attractive, but the simultaneous co-op makes it one of the best co-op games on the SNES. Don't forget this title or miss out on essential gaming!
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » January 17th, 2017, 1:23 am

SNES recap: the SNES list is pretty straightforward in that most people are in agreement about which titles were superior and its not ungenuine like we saw with NES or will see in Genesis/Megadrive *cough magazines like Nintendo Power cough*. See the following titles that some say are up for discussion aside for what i already mentioned:

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest: I will say that there are selective levels and battles with the first one and also being the original title that some Aside from that, they didn't go over the top but the improvements and playing with a friend although limited like Sonic 2 puts it over the top in my book.

Final Fantasy VI: Some will take IV over VI but if you look at the combat system, plot, development of gameplay, etc. It's hard to argue with putting IV over VI unless it meant something to you like Ultima: Exodus on the NES meant for our friends and family.

Kirby's Super Star: I won't argue with those that liked the other titles better, but having played the NES original, I applaud them for trying something different like Castlevania II. However, the one I mention is my personal favorite.

Super Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back: Either Episode V or Episode VI wins depending on the gameplay usually what movie you liked better. I think the gameplay won over just the movie plot for me but that could change next month.

Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers: I liked having the additional characters and this was the title to have tournaments over the other SF titles growing up for our neighborhood, thus my no brainer.

X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse: One of my favorite old school marvel games. Also, give Spider-Man X-Men a playthough at least. They both rank high on my SNES replay!

Zombies Ate My Neighbors: For horror fans and those that like scary games or even on pure SNES quality gameplay, its a commonly regarded title that i had to mention for those that may have ruled it out. Give this one a try again if you have played it and didn't like it at first glance.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

starlingmax
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member
Favorite Game: Metal Gear 3

Post by starlingmax » January 18th, 2017, 5:11 am

Hey Seraph, I will try Pocky & Rocky, and Holy Diver and report back, I never played those games, so I'm excited to try something good and new!
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » January 18th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Don't forget other titles on top of holy diver i mentioned throughout the reviews nd discussion so far like Getsu fuma Den, Solar Jetman, and Xexyz!

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » January 19th, 2017, 11:07 am

Eternal Champions: I rented this game so much as a id hat I should have just bought it. The Characters, Stages, "fatalities", etc. were very cool. I know if you every hear me talk I rarely will pick up an extra fighting game because it's hard enough to memorize the moves for 2-4 characters on even your top 10 fighting games. However, please at least look at this game with the move list and fatalities list and give it a little of your time. If you are a X-Men fan they also have a ry unique feature where you can customize and fight in a "danger room" with hazards while you fight.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » January 19th, 2017, 11:15 am

X-Men 2: Clone Wars: This is about my favorite game on the Genesis but if you ask me what got more playtime growing up it was X-Men, but the first one that came out on the Genesis. Maybe it was cause I only had X-Men 2 for a little time before I played N64 and Playstation 1, or maybe the X-Men fun with hard difficulty sold this title to me. Anyway check them both out and see if you can beat em both. X-Men 2 steps it up in just about every way from graphics to sound to gameplay to even more playable characters. I wouldn't want to ruin these titles for you so as a serious Marvel and X-Men collector, I may have some bias but stop what you are doing right now and pick these up!

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » January 19th, 2017, 11:29 am

The following are games that are generally regarded as in the top tier but not as obvious for one reason or another:

Aladdin: Best Disney game on the Genesis, amazing production value, and has some nice difficulty.

Battletoads: Hardest game on the NES but toned down difficulty and Genesis performance. Don't take that last statement too likely ecause it can still beat you down.

Mega Man: The Wily Wars: I think this game only came out and Europe, but take way the slight glitch here and there and you have 16 bit versions of Mega an 1, 2, and 3! Side note: I forgot this was released on the Sega Channel. Can someone modify my list on page 1? I didn't list Mega Man: The Wily Wars properly.

Splatterhouse 3: If you want some twisted but enjoyable old console horror goodness look no further.

Seraph
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Post by Seraph » January 19th, 2017, 11:31 am

I noticed my locked list needs fixing as well.