Board index Other Emulators Seraph's Top 100 Non-Arcade Games Discussion

Seraph's Top 100 Non-Arcade Games Discussion

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

One cool part of the gameplay I liked in Kabuki Quantum Fighter was how, if things were getting desperate, you could swap your weapon chips for health and just try to win with hair power.

starlingmax User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Hey Seraph, nice to meet you. Im currently pondering your NES list and I must say I love to see people praising games like Little Nemo and Sweet Home, since these games are not very popular when someone makes a retrospective (specially Sweet Home since it's a Japan only title).
By the way, did you ever played Little Samson? Its certainly one of may favourite NES games, and the times I see someone talk about it they just refer to it because of how expensive it is to buy one, but the gameplay, controlls and character designs are amazing.
Yeah yeah... sure, no problem.. ehhmmm well... bye...

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Max nice to meet you too! Yeah, the way the list created was by assigning votes between my twin brother and I over the course of a month a few months back before we had a recent falling out. Anyway, I liked Little Samson personally but I think in the end we mutually went with Ultima: Exodus for the nostalgia factor like I mentioned. I think there were about 3-5 games that fell off in the end Batman and Journey to Silius were on the short list. That's great another Nemo fan. Completely underrated and overlooked. I stand by that if you play that and Duck Tales side by side with a random kid I bet Nemo wins. It's all about what reviewers back in the day thought of gaming. Agreed, Little samson usually gets the cash cow award or the better late than never award being in the rise of new consoles.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Max, if you like the Japanese and rare games then check out this next game if you haven't already:

Hagane: The Final Conflict: This game is hard as nails and among the hardest games on the console. I have seen this game on almost no top lists for the SNES and for no reason I can gather except for it being an only Japan release. Think Ninja Gaiden platforming difficulty but Shinobi power attacks. The soundtrack wasn't especially memorable compared to the rest of the list but it could have been because I didn't see much of this game growing up. The gameplay is an 11 out of 10 and certainly belongs in your library. Give it a try or check out a longplay video of it to see for yourself!
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

starlingmax User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Hey Seraph, I know Hagane, it is one of the best games on the SNES without a doubt. I got to know this game thanks to a youtube video mentioning some "hidden gems" on the system:

The video is not that good since it mentions some games that are not hidden gems by any means (who doesn't know Rock 'n Roll Racing or Knights of the Round?) but thanks to it I got to know this cool game which, I agree, is a 11/10.

Speaking of hidden gems, have you ever played King of Demons for the SNES? It's very gory game, with eerie music and excelent gameplay. The game is on par with splatterhouse in terms of unsettlingness, but in terms of gameplay is way better, check it oput if you havent!

Incito User avatar
Founder
Founder

I have not heard of King of Demons. Looks pretty sweet. I will check it out. :wink:

Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I never heard of King of Demons, either. In my SNES ROMs it's called Majuu Ou. I figured that out by Googling snes king of demons and checking the Wikipedia page, which calls it Majyūō. There are some nice snaps here for anyone curious about the graphics:

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/majyuuou/majyuuou.htm

That makes me wonder how many other similar gems are hidden in my SNES ROMs. What usually happens when I check out random Japan only SNES games is they turn out to be unplayable if you don't know Japanese....

:unsure:

PantherUK User avatar

Haha Hiero, I did exactly the same thing... As long as a game isn't a text heavy RPG, I can usually bodge my way through the Japanese...

starlingmax User avatar
Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Hey guys, there's a translated rom out there! If someone is interested send me a PM. :thumbsup:
But, yeah, its not an RPG, so translated or not you will not miss much... Unless you are like me, and you actually care about video game stories no matter how simple or naive they are.

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

I doubt I'll get stumped much on console gaming but I am looking that gem out right now. The gore factor alone should have flagged it! No clue how I missed it. I guess I'll see it soon. As far as translations, I'm pretty resourceful but I will keep you in mind in case I run into a problem. By the way, I have a list of translations that I'm monitoring and maybe if I can't find some at 100 percent you may have some help. I will try to prioritize translations soon. Anyway gonna check that game out so thanks Max!

PreviousNext

Return to Other Emulators

Google+