Board index Other Emulators Seraph's Top 100 Non-Arcade Games Discussion

Seraph's Top 100 Non-Arcade Games Discussion

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
Post December 18th, 2016, 12:52 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Silver Surfer: For my comic game of this NES list some of you seasoned NES fans likely want to strangle me for not putting Batman over Silver Surfer. Batman did not make the cut for me maybe because of my favorability of Mavel vs. DC? Batman robbed aspects of games like Ninja Gaiden perfectly, including the graphics and gameplay oh and the excellently done cutscenes. It was also developed by Sunsoft which was a giant of its time for great hidden gems. Why did Silver Surfer come on top? Was it my list lacking a flying shmup? I'm not too sure but I owned this game over time and when I say owned it, I relentlessly play this until I beat on of the hardest games on the NES! I had so much fun playing this game and having some serious competition with my brother and friends to see who could get the farthest on the fly not only encouraged me to complete this title, but likely swayed my vote. This is a very fun game but caution: even for you shmup experts, this game gave the meaning of NES hard! OK, maybe it was the difficulty level that made this a win for me. I was always about throwing the hardest games at my skill back in the day. Batman was a tough game don't get me wrong. You better have your head on straight before you get to the last level or just restart and try again. Play them both!
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Post December 18th, 2016, 12:59 pm
Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Super Mario Bros. 3 (SMB): OK, this will be quick if I can. Every list you've ever seen says SMB 3 is the clear winner. I just want to bring up not SMB 1 for its gaming influence, or the American SMB 2, but Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels on the Famicom. It may not be the best Mario game on the NES, but damn was it tough and the cool features they added after SMB 1 was very enjoyable. I only was able to play this thanks to a Japanese friend of mine. Caution: play SMB 1 first, build your skill, and then pursue The Lost Levels to drop the difficulty curve some!
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick butt... and I'm all out of bubblegum. - George Nada (They Live)

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Sweet Home: Some of you may fault me for putting Famicom games on the list but that sucked that we missed out on these games. Despite my Japanese friend, I never experienced this till later. It was a really terrifying RPG of its time. Buy this game, find a translated copy, and experience what some say was a motivator behind Resident Evil. Want a dark game to take place of Sweet Home, try Batman as I mentioned above or the really cool gem by Sunsoft, Gremlins 2: The New Batch. Now that was a lot of fun and very over looked. The cutscenes were very cool, for its time. I think I broke the bank at Blockbuster even with the massive NES library I had access to by a friend of mine.

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Contra: Hey Seraph, when you got to Sweet Home didn't you skip over Super C? In two sentences, Super C is better in every regard. It only failed in poor marketing and because Contra was such a powerful influence that it was overshadowed Super C despite being the best in the series. It is a shame people skip right over this gem to Contra III for the SNES.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (TMNT): TMNT 1 can be the first to go because although this is a really fun title and the best in terms of difficulty, the real conversation is between TMNT II and TMNT III. TMNT II simply is better on the Arcade despite additional levels and added gameplay value. It is still worth a play through on that basis alone, so if most people regard it as the best in series than give it a playthrough. Make no mistake, it only receives such high praise being an excellent coin munching arcade port for its time even though again the added gameplay is worth it. TMNT III is better in every aspect and being a console exclusive to me puts it over the top. Most people missed this from their childhood due to the NES life at that time. However, it is the best in my view in the series and the special moves for each turtle add some extra flavor to the game. Enjoy this one knowing it was about the best to offer in terms of 8 Bit Beat Em Up action!

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Ultima: The last game up for discussion on the NES and for RPG lovers is it one heck of a gem. The party complexity of customizing your entire party and the sheer difficulty of this game is certainly worth a playthrough, but I caution you to proceed without a guide like we did when I was a kid. In full disclosure, this makes it on my list in part for being one of the only NES titles among Castlevania, Zelda, and Battle Chess that saw game time out of my busy father. It is a top tier game for those that experienced the full game. Unless your party is experienced enough, and you have made yourself fully prepared, you may not walk out of the dungeons alive. One slight spoiler: If you get poisoned and low on items with no map to guide you out, good luck! I enjoyed the music and it's very dark and eerie at times. If you want a gem to fill this slot and not convinced to give this truely lost RPG gem a shot, perhaps try Solar Jetman. That game is a gem as well and I say just try it. Most people if they like it they will love it. Want a high end placeholder that's not a rare gem you could tack in there Tetris (Tengen).

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

That about raps up my best of NES mini reviews. I hope you also check out the other games in reference throughout the reviews such as Xexyz. Yes, that was an actual game for the NES for those that missed out on that. Also, check out Getsu Fuma Den for the famicom if you want a difficult Japanese game that is high up on my playing list. Due to the mainstream nature of most future consoles once gaming bounced back from the fall of the early 80s, most consoles going forward will be straight forward with the exception of a few games per console. The best thing about the NES is unlike even the SNES, everyone's lists could be so different based on personal tastes. Consoles before and after the NES had their top titles that everyone generally gravitated towards. However, do that with the NES and you missed out on some serious gaming! I played every game in the NES library and beat just about every single one or all of those that really mattered. With that said my list could always change along with my interests. I doubt it would change much and the games listed here should be experienced by any gamer seeking some old school fun.

Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Thanks for this list and your insight, Seraph. I didn't expect all of the additional mini-reviews, which was a cool surprise.

:woot:

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

No problem, anyone wanting to experience the NES will need to have months of time on their hands to experience what I've posted. The best part is I've trimmed the fluff of the many seemingly cool, but messed up games that I had to rent a few times to finally beat them. By he way, I can't believe I forgot to mention Friday the 13th! With the new game coming out that was one of my favorite horror type games that wasn't a mainstream game. That game had some really eerie music and gameplay and some pretty freaky scenes at least for a little kid. Sure, it wasn't the best developed game but how did I miss mentioning that?! Running around the camp and forest was a lot of fun!

Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Reading all that good stuff made me recall some of the slightly offbeat NES games I enjoyed back in the day; games like Faxanadu, Burai Fighter, Astyanax, Kabuki Quantum Fighter, and Journey to Silius.

Seraph Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Maybe it was my friends and I playing so much of the library, but I flipped when you said Kabuki Quantum Fighter. That is a perfect example of non-mainstream goodness out of the NES. You must have done damage to the NES library yourself! The attack mechanic was a little off the wall but the acrobatics were pretty cool. It was a fun platform game to go through more than once. If the difficulty would have been ramped up even a little it would have been a higher piece of gaming legacy.

Now for the SNES...

Castlevania: This is a serious discussion between Castlevania fans that could lead to ended friendships. OK, it's not that serious but you usually fall into one of two camps: It's not broken, so don't fix it and the difficulty/story leading up to the best Castlevania (Symphony of the Night), versus the 2.5D gameplay and whip swinging action. Really you have trouble comparing graphics with a slight edge to Dracula X (only in my opinion). Really it's a tough call and more to your personal aesthetic preferences. Even as a Dracula X fan I have to submit that the gameplay should go to Super Castlevania IV that includes the music if you look at the overall soundtrack. Really the only reason of thinking Dracula X is better is because of difficulty and stuff like the last boss fight is just epic. In fact, if you do manage to fight Dracula bring your A game folks cause he is tough for me unless I can stay on top of his attacks. I think I remember hearing there is a trick to keep from falling in the pits, but even if I did remember that I wouldn't care to spoil the fun. I may get some grief for this, but after second consideration, I may give the win to Super Castlevania IV only because if I play this game it is primarily on the PSP version or PC Engine for nostalgia reasons. Basically, if I want to represent Castlevania on the SNES you know I may just have to give it to Super Castlevania IV in a "tie goes to the runner" type logic. I'll need to eventually update my list on both threads.

PreviousNext

Return to Other Emulators

Google+