Board index Other Emulators Sega Model 2 Emulator Discussion

Sega Model 2 Emulator Discussion

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
Post April 25th, 2015, 5:52 am
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

This thread is for discussion regarding the Sega Model 2 Emulator. My videos about this emulator are located here:

Sega Model 2 Emulator Video Tutorials - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2279

Post August 24th, 2015, 4:37 am
FPU Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

I'm trying to play Behind Enemy Lines but the mouse doesn't move the actual aim circle. It works fine on gunblade. I've tried calibrating it in the F2 menu but I can only do player 1 because for some reason the player 2 controls don't move the red cross at all. And still no joy.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

i5-750
HD5770
6GB RAM
Mouse + XBox360 for Windows Controller

Nebula v1.1a Emulator

Suggestions?

I've tried downloads form other places, same problem, aim circle doesn't move with mouse and player 2 inputs don't work during gun calibration.

Post August 24th, 2015, 10:34 pm
Hierophant User avatar
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Funnily enough, Behind Enemy Lines is the next Model 2 game which I plan to do a video tutorial about. Keep an eye out for it here.

:wink:

Post August 25th, 2015, 3:46 am
FPU Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Thanks. The problem seems to be 3-fold.

1. The aim reticule (green) doesn't move in the game even though the red cross hair does.

2. The player 2 cross hair doesn't move in Gun Calibration on the test menu (F2).

3. After calibrating the player 1 aim and exiting it reboots, whereas other games return straight to the game.

So far I have the following games working perfectly:

Gunblade NY (highly recommended, used to be £1 a pop in the arcades)
Zero Gunner
Daytona USA
Desert Tank
House of the Dead (also recommended)

Post August 25th, 2015, 5:28 am
Voljega Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Seems fun I'll try that !

This allows me to ask a question which was bothering me : when using other arcade emulators than MAME like Nebula, Final Burn Alpha, etc etc, can we use the same roms as MAME (with or without CHD) or do we need to get them in another format ?

Post August 25th, 2015, 9:37 am
FPU Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Voljega wrote:
Seems fun I'll try that !

This allow me to ask a question which was bothering me : when using other arcade emulators than MAME like Nebula, Final Burn Alpha, etc etc, can we use the same roms as MAME (with or without CHD) or do we need to get them in another format ?

On the Model 2 Emulator you can yes. You just put the ZIP file in the ROMs folders. The only issue you may have is where separate BIOS files are needed, then you need to unzip the file and rezip with the BIOS files included, same as with MAME. I think I had one issue where it said some mpr- files were missing, so I had to fish around for them and ZIP them up with the game.

The Demul Sega Naomi Emulator is much more complicated on the hole. The only game I got working was Ikaruga, this is because the MAME version has a CHD file, so you just point at that. Otherwise it's more complicated and I haven't figured it out. I got Sega Strike Fighters to load pointing at a DAT file but for some reason it booted multiple screens and the game was all screwed up.

This BuildBot PS2 emulator works great, super simple to use. Played Raiden III and Tekken 5 so far, really quite good.
http://buildbot.orphis.net/

Other than that I have Winuae Amiga emulator and Neo Rage 5.0x Neo Geo emulator. They work well but MAME kind of makes the Neo Rage emulator redundant because it plays all those games.

I'm waiting for a simpler GUI version of the Sega Model 3 emulator.

Post August 25th, 2015, 3:46 pm
jyarrison Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Hi guys. Behind enemy lines uses a joypad (analog stick) to move the crosshairs. That is why you cannot get it to work with your guns. I believe there is a workaround available but it requires using another software application to convert the mouse movements to joystick movements. Not sure how the accuracy translates. I just gave up on this game and left it off my cab.

As far as MAME roms, yes MAME, or arcade roms, should work on any arcade emulator. It has been a while since I set up my other emulators but I recall using my favorite "emulator paradise" site to download the roms. Pretty sure they were in the MAME section.

There is a GUI available fro MODEL3. Here is the link: http://www.mediafire.com/?dw975wu3fauvw2w

If you are using a frontend in your cabinet, it is pretty easy to configure the frontend to be your GUI. I know launching a game from the command prompt seems intimidating, but you are really just telling the pc where the program is located and where the games are. Once you set that up in your frontend, it works nicely. If you need help or want more detail let me know. I can walk you through it or maybe even post a video tutorial. Although it would be a few weeks until I am back home at my cabinet so I couldn't do the video for a little while.

Good luck!
JY

Post August 26th, 2015, 4:59 am
FPU Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Thanks.

It works but one question. On Daytona USA 2 it says, "Network Board not Present." Now there was a way round this in Daytona USA on Model 2. I've looked in the F3 menu but can't find the option. Can you offer any pointers?

Post August 26th, 2015, 6:03 am
FPU Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Also, how do I make it fullscreen?

If only they could get LA Machineguns working. :crying:

Post August 26th, 2015, 2:30 pm
jyarrison Gold Skull member
Gold Skull member

Yes, the network board. By default the ROMS are looking for a networked cabinet. You have to change the cabinet from "Master" to "Slave". By default, use the (5) and (6) number keys to get into this setting and make adjustments. Not sure which number does which but you'll get it figured out quickly. After you switch to "Slave" mode, the game should reset and will not lokk for the network board any longer. You should only have to do this one time. You will also need to do this for Scud Race/Sega GT. This game is fun and I recommend it as well.

For the fullscreen, in the command when you launch a game, just add the command "-fullscreen"

Here is how you launch a game from the command line.

1. Open the command prompt
2. Type the location of Supermodel and the games/roms. Both the program and the roms go in the same folder, so let's say it is in a Supermodel folder on your C drive. You would type: C:\supermodel
3.Now you tell the pc to launch the program, what game to launch, and any settings you want, example: supermodel daytona2.zip -res=1024,768 -fullscreen -sound-volume=80 -music-volume=150

If you type that into the command prompt of the Supermodel directory it tells the computer to launch supermodel (1st command) launch rom daytona2.zip [(2nd command)this is the rom name, for different game just type different rom name] (3rd command)display resolution of 1024x768, set this to whatever you want (4th command) launch fullscreen (5th command and 6th command) set the volume output. The sound and music can be adjusted independently so adjust those numbers to your liking.

That is it. Again, if you use a frontend, you type that in one time and then the frontend automatically sends that command for you. It just replaces the rom with whichever game you choose. Very slick.

I think LA machineguns might be working but not in the official release. There was a release, quietly, that was a minor update to the SVN and I think it makes LA machineguns playable or close to it. I don't have the latest SVN release so I can't confirm this.
JY

Next

Return to Other Emulators

Google+