DIY Gaming Console - MAME Arcade built from Raspberry Pi

Although we like to keep it MAME only here, if you just HAVE to post about other emus, then here you go.
Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Re: DIY Gaming Console - MAME Arcade built from Raspberry Pi

Post by Voljega » August 17th, 2015, 5:42 am

Hello. I'm not sure if you're aware of it but there's an emulation fully dedicated system (base on raspian linux too i think) with a built-in frontend using a raspberry pi 2.

It's called Recalbox OS and it seems pretty good (I haven't tried it yet) :
http://www.recalbox.com/

I don't know which version of MAME it's using, though

They're announcing the full support of SF Third Strike in the next version !

Incito
Founder
Founder
Favorite Game: Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Post by Incito » August 17th, 2015, 3:08 pm

I know the Pi 2 has 1GB of memory (Shared GPU and CPU) and a quad-core Broadcom BCM2836 ARM v7 processor. I would love to see someone benchmark this with Marvel vs. Capcom.
Hopefully the romset that will be needed is not the same as the one used by the Android MAME. It does not support M vs.C, or last I checked which was about a year ago.

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » August 18th, 2015, 1:28 am

I dug a little on the project github and it indeed seems to use iMame4All which seems funny ? Anyway it's either that one or Mame4All

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » September 27th, 2015, 3:55 pm

Got my own Pi 2 and I installed Recalbox on it.

Very nice little system !! It's pretty much plug and play but you still have to put your hands on some scripts if you want to fine tune it and make everything work fine

For the moment I'm starting with nintendo and sega console before trying Final Burn Alpha but that will be in a few weeks I think.

Voljega
Mame Addict Supreme
Mame Addict Supreme

Post by Voljega » October 3rd, 2015, 5:17 pm

Well did some tests with FBA-libreto which uses a 0.161 mame set and I must say it's disappointing.

First there's a bug in Recalbox or Retroarch or FBA-Libreto which break the ratio in CPS2 games by displaying them on the whole width of the screen.
It will likely be corrected

But the biggest issue is that even with Pi2 and even with overclocking there are many hardware which are lagging and having horrible cracking sound. And there are not even the most recents games, some games from the first half of the century do not run well at all.

Meanwhile PSX emulation at 720p is flawless on games like Bushido Blade 2 or Tobal so this is likely related to the bad quality on arcade emulators compiled for the Pi2